A Bad Case of the Blahs!

Posted on Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 at 10:16 am

wallhanging_17

It’s been difficult getting back into the swing of blogging again. I had so many great ideas for the 2011 Pumpkin Eatin’ Season. To start the season off I was all set to participate in NaBloPoMo’s blogging every day marathon for the month of September. My first and only post went up on September 1st but the next day, my grandmother died.

The first few weeks of September went by in a blur of activity. We made the unexpected trip to Idaho for the funeral and then there was the cleaning out of her apartment. After the chaos is when the blahs set deeply in my bones. Writing about pumpkin in the face of all that’s been going on seemed like a sacrilege. My thoughts were too melancholy for Pumpkin Passion. Eventhough I wasn’t blogging, my life has been revolving around pumpkins since July for good reasons that are better left to a future blog post.

My grandmother was the ruling matriarch of our family. As a kid, I thought she was the most glamorous adventurer to walk the planet. She left the small mormon town in Idaho where our family had lived for generations around the time that I was born. I knew her as the “Granny” that would come for visits in her fur coat and take us all out for nice dinners at the town’s most fancy restaurant. She traveled to places that this mormon kid could barely believe were real: New Orleans, Seattle, Hawaii, Ireland, and England. She was my real life celebrity.

Eventually, we moved out of Idaho and in with her while I was in high school. Moving from Idaho to Orange County, California, was a complete culture shock. She kept me sane.

From her I received my strong-as-steel independence (“God helps those that help themselves”), my wanderlust, and my love of crafting. She taught me how to sew and how to embroider. When we were cleaning out her apartment I took pictures of all the quilts, wall hangings, and embroidery that she’d been working on for years. She’d given away several pieces over the years but she still had over a 100 pieces jammed in every closet. I photographed all of her work but I thought I’d share these two with Pumpkin Passion.

I’m still sad but the blahhhs are subsiding a little.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “A Bad Case of the Blahs!”

1. Lynn says:

(((((You)))))

It’s completely understandable for you to have the blahs honey. I just wanted to say that we love you are here for you, anytime. And also to tell you that this blog post brought tears to my eyes, as it’s a beautiful and moving tribute to your “Granny”.

2. Anita says:

I think that’s absolutely the best way Granny could have been described, and beautifully written – you made me cry at work, darnit! :) God help anyone who has to deal with us when we’re being stubborn, because she certainly shared her stubborn independent streak with us.

She was most definitely the heart of our family. The blah may never completely pass for any of us, but you know where to find me if you need or want to talk about it (or about anything else, for that matter).

In the meantime, maybe we should think about planning a trip somewhere in honor of that stubborn independent streak of hers.

3. connie says:

that was an amazing tribute. she was such a strong woman and inspired many. i really miss her and at time the blahs are bad. just remember she is in heaven picking out a mean little boy to send to you and shannon. we love you. cheer up granny would be upset to see us all mope around

4. bookworm1990 says:

I am sorry for your loss. This is a wonderful entry. Her embroidery is lovely

5. T says:

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds amazing, and your relationship to her sounds a lot like mine with my grandma. It’s totally understandable that you’ve got a taste of the blahs. Just take your time.

Love your grandmother’s work, by the way. Really fabulous!

6. Mimi says:

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your granny.
    I was raised by my grandmother too and I know losing her created a void in my life that I still have yet to fill.
    Please don’t feel bad for not blogging, Everyone here completely understands, and I’m sure we all agree, taking care of yourself is the most important thing.
    I don’t know if it Will help you like it helped me but, I read Randy Pausch’s book “The Last Lecture” the day I buired her and after I rezd his feelings about losing his own bestfriend, I felt great comfort and peace.